Kia Motors America (KMA) is restoring expectations once again with the unveiling of the new K5 2021 midsize midsize sedan with the new improved safety and performance “N3” platform, turbocharged engines, available all-wheel drive and high-tech impact.
Going on sale this boreal summer, the K5 will be available in four trim levels (LX, LXS, GT-Line, EX).
Design of the K5 2021
- The centerpiece is Kia’s modernized “tiger face,” with the wide, slim front grille extending into the headlight and hood frame.
- From the side, the low, speedy silhouette of the K5 confirms the impression that it was created for running, highlighted by a chrome trim that runs down the roofline and wraps around the rear glass.
- Shark skin inspired mesh design on the front grille and chrome dual exhaust tip lining (GT-Line, GT)
- Signature “Heart Beat” daytime running lights and taillights with available LED “dashes” span the width of the rear deck lid
- Glossy black appliqué on the rear glass enhances the shape of the backrest while maintaining the functionality of the sedan and cargo space
- Newly designed 16, 18, or 19-inch alloy wheels (18-inch and 19-inch wheels come with Pirelli P-Zero sports tires)
- Airplane style shift knob
- A combination of premium and sporty upholstery options including red faux leather seats, metallic satin chrome, and wood-like finishes on dash and door panels, depending on finish
- Panoramic sunroof
- Flat-bottom sports steering wheel (GT-Line, GT)
More K5 features
- Exterior dimensions increased in all the right places for a sporty sedan look and feel
- Length: 193.1 inches (+2 inches over the Kia’s protruding Optima)
- Width: 73.2 inches (+1 inch)
- Height: 56.9 inches (-0.8 inches)
- Wheelbase: 112.2 inches (+1.8 inches)
- Optimized suspension geometry for sporty handling, responsiveness and stability.
- Higher average tensile strength and additional hot-stamped parts for a solid white body
- Improved sound damping materials result in a quieter, more premium cabin
- Standard acoustic laminated windshield on all K5 trims
- 2.5-liter turbocharged GDI + MPI four-cylinder engine that generates 290 horsepower and 311 pound-feet. of torque, along with the new “wet” 8-speed dual-clutch (GT) transmission goes from 0 to 60 mph in 5.8 seconds
- The K5’s four-wheel drive system is based on front-wheel drive, which is the first time for a Kia sedan
- Uses an electro-hydraulic system to control the AWD coupling for faster response and more precise control
- “Snow” 4 driving mode improves driver safety and confidence in all weather
- Normal, Smart, Sporty and Custom drive modes adjust engine settings, transmission, AWD (when equipped) and steering mapping to provide the desired driving experience.
Next level technology
New wireless features minimize cable clutter and keep the cabin clean, while a seamless entertainment info display design and voice command system help keep the driver’s eyes on the road. Some technology and convenience highlights to consider include:
- 8 or 10.25 inch high resolution color touch screen5
- Split screen and satellite radio functionality available
- The available 10.25-inch touchscreen adds: The available server-based navigation system provides real-time traffic data. New multi-connect Bluetooth6 wireless connectivity that allows two phones to connect simultaneously. UVO telematics with connected user profiles, allowing different drivers to create the environment they want with the perfect seating position, the location of the outside mirror and favorite radio stations
- Bose7 Premium sound system, available with 12 high-performance speakers.
- Bose Centerpoint technology turns stereo sources into a richer surround sound experience
- Dynamic speed compensation analyzes the sound source and adjusts it automatically based on driving speed
- Active sound design provides a dynamic listening experience by enhancing the sound of engine acceleration and gear shifting according to selected driving mode
- New for Kia, Apple CarPlay8 Wireless, and Android Auto9 cuts the cord on charging cables, meaning drivers can enjoy being connected without being plugged in (wireless functionality not available on 10.25-inch navigation system)
- Available wireless smartphone charging 10 with integrated design keeps smartphones within reach and safe within the charging pad
- Reduced charging time with higher charging rates
- Added cooling fan
- The available natural language speech recognition software recognizes a number of commands including “turn on the A / C” and “warm up the steering wheel.”
- New smart key functions available
- Remote engine start and weather pre-acclimatize the cabin before passengers enter the vehicle. The standard dual zone control system can automatically set the cabin temperature to 72 degrees from the smart key
- With hands-free Smart Trunk, access to the rear opens conveniently when the Smart Key is detected behind the vehicle
- Standard Rear Occupant Alert11: Designed to provide a message in the instrument cluster for the driver to “Check the rear seats” to help avoid leaving the vehicle with a rear passenger left inside; the message appears when the driver’s door is opened after a rear passenger door has been opened and closed.
- Sound of Nature environmental system creates a quiet retreat within K5 with six relaxing themes